Tara Bad

By: Highlander II

Rating: NC-17: language, sexual situations, violence
Spoilers: Season 5 - "Family" - "The Gift"
Summary: AU version of certain events stemming from "Family" and proceeding through "The Gift," but following canon, as it appeared on the series, with respect to everything else and ending in such a way that the events of Season 6 could occur as they did onscreen with few repurcussions. Spike and Tara-centric.
Disclaimer: Characters belong to Joss Whedon and are property of Kuzui/Kuzui Entertainment, Mutant Enemy Productions, WB, UPN, FOX etc. etc.
Feedback: Highlander II






Part XII

Yeah - that was a picnic. Slayer showed up and grabbed her sis, then took off without a word. Not even a bloody 'thank you' for m'trouble. What the hell is wrong with people in this town? Doesn't anyone show gratitude anymore? Bugger.

Now, same bitch slayer is here askin' for m'help in the usual way - which involves smashing my nose in and yellin' at me.

"You know, Slayer, I should tell you to sod off and just leave me alone."

"What? Why? Because I didn't kick your ass for making that ridiculous robot? Spike, I need your help. I'm asking. Can you get us a ride?" She's rather exasperated (isn't that a great word?) and looks a little pissed. All she's gotta do is say the magic word…

I cock an eyebrow at her. "I don't know. Probably not, seeing as how you don't want me doing any 'bad stuff'."

She glares at me and rolls her eyes. "Geezus, Spike. Steal a freaking car or van or whatever. Just make sure it's big enough for everyone to fit. Please?"

Now that wasn't so hard, was it? "Sure. I'll find something. When do you need it?"

"Now would be good. We have to get out of here."

"Right then. I know a guy. Let's go. We've gotta go through the tunnels, o'course."

She sighs and follows me. Should make her apologize for punching me, but doubt she'd do it. Not really important now anyway. Glory chippie's coming up fast and we've gotta move. Believe me, not into another showdown with that one.

****

So, pull up to the curb in the big metal box on wheels and let the kiddies on. Some of the kiddies are grumping because they don't like me as the driver. Get over it. Slayer asked me to work this gig, I'm working.

In fact, she's just told 'em that and stomped off to look at her map in the back. That's my girl.

"Buckle up, kids. Daddy's puttin' the hammer down," I say, pull the protective, if hideous, goggles into place, shift 'er into 'drive' and hit the gas. It's mighty fun to watch all manners of Scoobies rock and sway as we careen down the road here.

Oh bugger, bloody ponce of a Watcher's gripin' about m'driving. "What the bleeding hell do you want?" I ask him and swerve around a slow moving vehicle that looks like it belongs in the Dark Ages.

"Can you at least keep us on a straight path?" Rupert belly-aches.

"Not when the road curves to the left, mate." I just keep driving. Maybe he'll go away.

"Spike, get up. Let me drive. You're going to kill us all with your changing lanes and passing at forty miles over the speed limit." He's pounding on m'shoulder and he's gonna get his neck broken he doesn't stop it.

Damn if they didn't hold a vote and the Watcher won. Shit. Fine. I'll get up, you can bloody drive, Rupert. See how fast we get wherever. "Wheel's all yours," I say and abandon the driver's seat.

"Spike!" Rupert yells and leaps into the seat.

That was good for a laugh and some scowls from some of the passengers. What? I'm evil.

Guess I'll just settle here on the floor away from the sunlight. Sit here next to Nibblet who's probably scared to death, but doing a good job of not showing it. Good on her. Still think I shoulda nicked that Porsche. Now I just have the threat of Harris tossing his cookies. Lovely thought that. 'Least he's up front with the Sunday driver. I can move and sit on an actual seat now - still away from the sun. Don't wanna singe m'self before we get started good.

Look at her. No, not Nibblet, though she's being tough. Tara. She's so frail, so fragile. What did that hell-bitch do to her? She looks so lost. So gone. What happened to her? Where is that wild demon who came to me? Gone now. Opening the curtains and singeing my hand with Mr. Sunshine. Shit. And she's crying in the corner. God this is so hard. And my hand bloody stings.

"She doesn't know what she's doing," Willow says apologetically.

"We know," Nibblet adds. Yes. We know.

"No biggie. Look, the skin's already stopped smoking. You go ahead and play... peek-a-boo with Mister Sunshine all you like. It keeps the ride from getting boring." Back to the corner so I don't get hit with 'Mister Sunshine' again. Bloody hell, that hurt. But I can't be angry with her, I can't. And now she's whining about the light being all gone… what's that? The light's still outside… oh bugger, this must have something to do with the Key. Damn.

Bit's off to chat with Big Sis while the rest of us have to sit here and listen to Harris belly-ache about bein' queasy or whatever. And Slayer's run from the back and is yellin' at the Watcher.

"I see 'em!" he calls back to her.

Huh? "See who?" I'm totally lost. That is, until a freaking arrow slams into the sodding wall near me. "Bloody hell!"

"They're throwing arrows!" Xander squawks. No kidding.

Mad raucous for a few, Nibblet's under the table, Red and Blondie are ducking out of the way and Giles is askin' if we have weapons. I catch the bag of stuff Slayer throws at me and yell back at Watcher, "Hello! You're driving one!"

More griping about not hitting the 'horsies,' oh come on! We can't be worried about the well-fare of the animals when we're about to be cut to ribbons. There's gotta be something in this bag that would be useful. And Slayer needs to stop yelling. If these gits aren't smart enough to stay low when there's danger about, they shouldn't be here. Bloody hell! And, who's the smart one? I'm the one holding a bleeding sword between m'bare hands.

So, Slayer turns around and just stares at me. Little slow on the uptake here, are we? "Now might be a good time for something heroic," I manage between clenched teeth - as in, by the way, this sodding HURTS!

Slayer makes her way onto the roof of the RV and the sodding Knight yanks his sword and rips through m'hands. "OW!" Shit. I dive onto the seat beside Nibblet with a dishtowel. Hands are bleeding and all. Graciously, Little Bit decides to help wrap m'hands up to stem the flow of blood. Huh. Bloody lot of good I'm gonna be now, m'hands all messed up. Bugger.

****

So, Rupert wrecked the transportation, granted it was because he was stabbed with a pike (spear, javelin, whatever you wanna call it, a long pointy stick), but he could've crashed a little softer. Anyway, Slayer's got a great bedside manner, all worried about me and everything. Yeah, thanking me all over the place for not lettin' her get stabbed in the head - NOT. Dammit. Save 'er bloody life and she doesn't even give a damn. She tried to get some info out of Captain Scarface, but not much luck really.

What's that? The screaming and wailing… Red's trying to calm Tara, but I don't think it's working too well. Slayer did manage to get the good doctor to show up and patch up the Watcher. Peachy. Sure, I'll survive, but these cuts really sting. Don't want much, just a little 'Sorry you got your mitts all sliced up. Thanks for keeping that sword outta m'head.' But I can't even get that. I sodding give up. And now I can't even get my cigarette lit. Stupid vampire that I am, grabbin' a sword with m'bare hands.

Harris is helping me? Is this fantasy land? "Thanks."

"You know those things'll kill you?" I have to glare, he's kidding, right? "Oh. Right."

****

That sucks. Ben's bloody Glory and he… she's snatched the Nibblet. That can't be good.



Part XIII